Thursday, March 01, 2007

BBC


I miss listening to the BBC on shortwave radio. Ever since I was a kid I listened to the chimes of Big Ben, the various "programmes" and much thoughtful, noncommercial fare.

Today, BBC is still going strong in TV and radio, but not much shortwave, at least not that I can pick up here. CBC's 'As It Happens" has replaced BBC on shortwave, and BBC now comes through in streaming audio, if you click here. No static, no interference. Better.

But, not simultaneous with the listening community. The internet delays and buffers time, so you get it "After it Happens" at best. And not in time with unseen fellow listeners who I always imagined were hearing it along with me. We lost the steady pulse of common time through timeshifting, while gaining convenience.

No comments: